Monday, January 26, 2009

Celebrating Alex's Birthday

As I'm sure is evident from my crazy, random, out of order posts lately things have been a little nuts for me over the last month (or two). So in an attempt to get things straightened out in my life I'm going to start being more organized starting with my blog. (I've gotta start somewhere. I've decided to start small) I'm going to start again with Alex's birthday (and it will still be 2 posts).
Alex's birthday was Jan. 20th and because that was a Tues. (the day we're all gone from 8am-8pm) we decided to postpone the festivities to Wed. so we could give it adequate time. Of coarse, the Jan. birthday in me decided (when I got off of work @ 7pm) that we had to celebrate it a little so I bought a piece of cake from Bashas and took it home determined to have a small party. Unfortunately Alex was exhausted from the day and wasn't really in the partying mood, nor did he know what the heck was going on. We decided to sing to him, let him blow out the candle, dig into the piece of cake, and then open 1 present, but things did not go well. We stripped him down and put him in the high chair with the piece of cake as far as we could get it from him with a candle in it. We almost didn't light it, but he wasn't even trying to touch it so we decided to - BAD IDEA. I watched him closely, worried he would go for the candle, until about half way through the song when I decided "He hasn't touched it yet. Surely he'll wait long enough for me to get a picture" as soon as I stepped back and took the picture he grabbed the candle. He didn't catch the flame, but he did touch the candle and got a little wax on his finger. I'm not sure what was worse, the hot wax, or the fact that we suddenly stopped singing and started screaming at him, but either way we totally freaked him out and he had a complete meltdown. We tried to distract him with opening a present and that worked for a second, so we decided to give the cake another try. He refused to touch it. He would eat it off of Jameson's finger and say "mmmmm" but if we tried to get him to touch it he would meltdown again. We eventually gave up and put him to bed hoping he'd forget the whole thing and we'd try again the next day. Here are the pics from attempt #1:
This is the one cute picture I got as he was starting to reach for the candle.
This was when we were trying to get him to touch it. He was terrified of it.
He enjoyed a little off of Jameson's finger, but refused to touch it.Daddy tried to feed him a piece, but he was not having it. This is when we decided to give up. Sorry little man.

No comments: