Saturday, September 12, 2009

9-11 Memorial

Note: Here is the Reader's Digest version.... We went to the 9-11 memorial at Tempe Town Lake tonight and it was cool. Now for, what Klint calls, the "word vomit" version read on. I won't be offended if you don't read it. Just look at the pics. They're cute. I grew up in a VERY patriotic family. My dad especially has always been that way. He was excited to put his flag out for every holiday (Labor Day, Flag Day, 4th of July, etc.). He especially loves to see a flag blowing in the wind. To this day every time I see one, especially one blowing in the wind I feel pride and think of my dad. Every year at Tempe Town Lake they do a memorial for those who died in the attacks on 9-11-2001. They place a flag for each person with a card showing the person's name and a little bit about them attached to each pole. Klint and I stumbled upon it one year, and have decided it was so meaningful we try to go back each year. Tonight we took the boys. Even though they don't really understand it reminded me of so many of the places I've been able to visit that honor those who have served/died for our country. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to visit those sacred places throughout my life. (Arlington Cemetery, the Vietnam Memorial, The Korean War Memorial, and most recently the beaches at Normandy in France). I've always thought it was so interesting that instead of the dread and sorrow that I would expect to feel, I've felt honor, pride, and gratitude for each of those people and their families for their sacrifice. (I think being part of one of those families has given me a different perspective. My aunt's husband Keith's plane went down during the Korean Conflict and he was never found. Just hearing about him, and the impact he had in my dad's life, has made me feel proud to be related.) Anyway, this is a much longer post that I had planned to say I'm so proud, and feel so blessed to be an American despite the challenges our country faces. I love to take the opportunity to remind myself of that feeling, and I'm grateful for each experience. Here are the pics from tonight.On a lighter note....afterward we went to Bahama Bucks for a treat. Here are those pics.Jameson with his treat & his "brellas".

2 comments:

Shellee said...

Do you know how long they are keeping up the flags? I hope they are up on Monday so we can go see them for FHE. My kids remember 9-11. Aaron a lot more than Alyssa, it's weird when your kids remember things like this.

Scott J said...

That is too cute. I remember going down a few years ago and walking through the rows and rows of flags. I just remember being speechless as we read each person's information on the each flag. Being that 9/11 is my B-Day, I feel a small connection to those who passed on that day.