11 years ago
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Poor Ty
Last Wed night we had a very sad incident at our house. My sister Jen and her fam had all come over for haircuts. I was doing haircuts and the kids were in the other room playing with our dog Ty. My nephew Michael kinda dropped him and Ty landed just right to badly break both bones in his front right leg. It was traumatizing and sad especially for the kids. Klint scooped him up & we went to head out to the vet hospital. As we were leaving I realized Jameson was really upset. I told him it was going to be ok & he could give Ty a little pet on his back and tell him he loved him. He did & then he looked at me & literally crumpled into a sobbing mess in my arms saying "I want him to come back. Please bring him back." It was so sad. I realized he was remembering when we had to take our last dog Nick away "cause he was sick" and now "he lives with Heavenly Father". I did my best to reassure him that thing would be ok, but I wasn't sure what the damage was so I didn't want to promise anything & I passed him off to my sister Jen (who took them to her house while we went) so we could go. It was VERY obvious that his leg was broken. It's bad. The vet hospital gave him lots of meds (I was SO anxious for him to be out of pain) and did xrays & determined that both bones were broken. It was so stressful to take him home & try to be careful with him & take care of him. He was pretty restless that first night so I stayed up with him all night trying to keep him from doing too much. It was almost worse than having a sick kid cause he didn't understand. Here's what he came home looking like the first night.
I thought it was stressful that first night, but I had no idea what we were in for. A few days later we noticed that his toes were swollen so, because of course it was Sun night) we took him to the vet hospital again where they said the wrap had been too tight and caused an infection in him paw. The gave us antibiotics for him & wrapped it up again including the paw this time and said for us to follow up with our regular vet. When we took him to the vet to have it checked again 24 hours later they opened it up to find his paw totally infected & so bad that if we didn't get it cleaned up and healing he could loose his toes or his whole foot. Ahhhhh!!!! We left him for a 2 hour procedure to clean it up. They also said he will probably have to have surgery (cost about $2000) to fix the break cause they don't think it's healing. Good thing we love this little dog, cause I swear this stress is going to take years off my life. So here we are a couple days later and it looks like his paw is thankfully starting to heal. He does now have to wear, according to Alex, "the cone of shame" which he hates, but at this point we'll do what it takes. Wish us luck. Looks like this may be an long, uphill battle. Here's Ty in his cone of shame.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
ahh that stinks, poor little guy. hope he gets better and doesnt loosen your bill fold anymore!
I had no idea it was so bad! That is so sad! I hope he heals soon!
Aww that is so sad! Glad everything is on the mend!
Post a Comment